Welcome to our easy, convenient and secure online initial booking and enrollment page.
This form is to be used to enroll in the Deck Hand (GPH) Training Initial enrollment Course
Payment to complete the course is made in 2 stages:
STAGE 1 - Initial Pre Study enrollment Payment: $695.00.
On receipt of the initial enrollment form and payment we will contact you by email to confirm your enrollment, provide you with access to download training material and access to our online assignment material and activities which we have developed. This component is in a flexible delivery mode therefore our no refund policy applies to the initial enrollment fee. We can be contacted 7 days a week to assist you in your studies. This stage can be undertaken in your own time and at your own pace.
There is no need to attend any class sessions at this stage.
STAGE 2 - Final Practical Session Payment: $795.00
NOTE: If you pay the final practical session enrolllment payment within 24 hours of paying the initial pre study enrollment payment then you can save $195.00. We will send you an email on how to take advantage of this discount.
We offer a considerable pre payment discount and therefore this is also subject to our no refund policy however you change course dates up to 3 times without any penalty provided notification is received at least 2 weeks prior to the practical course date.
If you wish to pay by installments you can make the final payment at anytime but it must be made at least 2 weeks prior to the commencement of the practical 2 day training session which is conducted at our training vessel. During Stage 2 you will put into practice the following skills:
- Mooring and Berthing the Vessel
- Splicing, Knots and Hitches
- Anchoring the Vessel
- Man Overboard and Fire Drills
- Knowledge of Collision Regulations
- Knowledge of Domestic Boating Rules
- IALA Buoyage
- Watchkeeping and Lookout duties
- On Board Maritime Safety
- Practical Survival at Sea
On successful completion of the GPH course you will be issued with your course completion Certificate and Transcript and an AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA) document. You can then submit your application to AMSA using AMSA Form 426. You will also need to satisfy medical and eyesight requirements using AMSA Form 542.
- We will provide FREE additional training to you to obtain a NSW Maritime Boat Licence to the value of $295.00 if you do not already possess a Boat Licence
- We provide additional training manuals FREE in a downloaded format from our website
- We provide all training material and resources FREE of charge to all General Purpose Hands.
Location: Course are held in Newcastle monthly
Travel & Accommodation Information
We have many students who come from interstate. Approx 40% of students come from Queensland while other come from Vic, SA, TAS, NT & WA. Please download this file for travel information.
We suggest a web search for Air BnB in the Carrington and Wickham areas. There are about 6 available that are a 10 min walk to the marina and cost around $60.00 per night.
Some nearby places are: The Albion Hotel Hannell Street, Wickham (PH: 4962 2411) (100 metres from the vessel). They provide accommodation for $55.00 per night twin share or $110.00 single including breakfast. The hotel is very clean and has recently been refurbished.
We also recommend Newcastle Backpackers for those on a limited budget.
- A current 1st Aid Certificate is required. You can obtain this from a provider of your choice for between $120.00 and $150.00. We recommend that you obtain a 1st Aid Certificate prior to completing Stage 2. If this is not possible it should be undertaken as soon as possible on completion of the course.
- It is also necessary to complete a self disclosure medical and obtain eyesight certificate from your local General Practioner. This can also be obtained after the completion of the course.
To proceed to initial enrollment and to pay the amount of $695.00 please complete the details below:
Method of payment:
We accept direct bank deposit or secure credit card payment with Visa-Mastercard through our PayPal account.